We are so sorry about the delay in our Friday chats, we have been busy preparing for the launch of our new website. It has not launched yet, but will very soon hopefully...



For the chat today, we have been in touch with our dear friends over there, Mia, the founder of eeBoo. We asked Mia a couple of questions because we wanted to learn more about her, eeBoo and the thoughts behind these award-winning products.

But first things first, let me tell you a little bit about eeBoo - this is for you who do not know eeBoo, yet!


"eeBoo is a boutique toy manufacturer that specializes in useful, beautiful and well-made educational games and gifts. Their products are sold in both Specialty Toy stores and high-end Gift Shops as well as Museum stores, Bookstores, Art Supply stores and other non-big box venues.
eeBoo creates refreshing toys and gifts that are 100% original (no licenses) and we commission our artwork from well-known and well-loved children’s book illustrators. Everything we make is meant for wholesome individual or family play. Many of our games and activities are based on old-fashioned formats which eeBoo re-invents with cheerful artwork and contemporary design.
Literacy, story telling, drawing, imaginative play and basic math are among the skills that eeBoo products encourage. A good share of the eeBoo line has been awarded Oppenheim Best Toy Awards and other honors."

Q: What inspired you to create eeBoo and why did you choose that name?
A: I loved the sound of the French word HIBOU which means owl, but I thought that people would not properly pronounce it. I love the little re's ad the not quite symmetry of the oo's. I like that it almost makes a little face and sounds like Peek A Boo or Eek! Boo!.

Q: What was the first produced product?
A: Garden Bug Cookie cutters that I produced in Pennsylvania at a funny little factory where ladies sat at little satins with their dogs sitting under their desks.

Q: Is there one specific item in the eeBoo line that is your personal favorite?
A: 'I Never Forget A Face' with illustrations by Lizzy Rockwell was one of my first games and is still one of my favorites. I made it right at the beginning of the War in Iraq and I very purposely included portraits of children from Iraq and Afghanistan to remind people there were kids there too.



Q: How does eeBoo come up with ideas for its products?
A: I cull a lot from childhood memories - and I supplement by scouring antique markets. I also find inspiration from art exhibits, parks, clothing I see in a travel magazine, gardens. I'm always looking at shape, color, content and textures.

Q: What can you say about your amazing studio in New York?
A: The studio was originally a ballroom for a residental hotel at the turn of the century. When we found it listed for rent it was being used as a storage space and all the windows and skylights had been bricked over, the ceiling had been dropped to enclose air conditioning and the space had been broken down into over ten little rooms. Ideally the studio is located near to where my children are at school and a few blocks from my parents.








Post a Comment

Youtube


Contact

© ROOM2PLAY blog
Design by The Basic Page